steel magnolia

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day"

Well these days have been anything but dull...I just really wanted to quote that song because I love it.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, I saw a great movie last night called "The Squid and the Whale" that features "Hey You." The last great movie I saw was C.R.A.Z.Y. that had a great scene of the main character rockin' out to "Shine on you crazy diamond." A pattern...?

I have been soooo busy. I am managing a group of 15 highschool volunteers at work everyday and they're exhausting, but quite helpful. It's only been a couple days now but I feel like I've had a chance to connect with almost every one of them on an individual basis. One girl plays in a band and wants to be a tattoo artist. Another boy was born in Germany and recently went to Hungary - he thinks it's the best place in the world, the "Paris of Eastern Europe." Today I talked to a boy for 20 minutes about roller skating - apparently there are only 4 roller rinks in Canada and one of them is in Cambridge. He and his friedns are really into it - the new trend is breakdancing on roller skates which sounds dangerous but must look siiiiiick. One girl, Anna, is one of the most impressive kids I've ever met. She only just finished grade nine but she is passionate activist at her school, pushing for inclusion, anti-bullying programs and starting a gay-straight alliance. And she's such a little fashionista! So far, I like these kids.

Last weekend was incredible...I went to The Drake for Lianne's birthday, by-passed ALL the lines (as per usual) and had an incredible night. After hanging out on the swanky patio Lianne and I snuck off to the basement and got tickets for Cuizinier - a white Parisian rapper (ironice since I'm going to Paris in TWO WEEKS!!) who rhymes almost as fast as Twista over a mix of R&B, Underground and some Dirrrrty South beats laid by DJ Orgasmix. They performed in the Drake's packed basement to a sold-out crowd with me and Lee rockin' out at the front.

But before they came on...DJ NAV opened and WOW he was incredible. He does hard rock to a dance beat with breaks and it is off the muthafriggin' hook. He told me he spins every month at the Drake and does sets randomly at other venues. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for DJ Nav!!!

Saturday Pat took Sally and I to his cottage. Sally wore a life jacket and went canoeing with us. We went seadooing and it was the funnest things ever - there were lots of boats on the water and many many many waves and the best part was when I jumped a wave and turned and threw Patty of the sea doo (sorry Patty).

The downfall of the weekend was definitely missing 'Pril's wedding. Congratulations honey, I wish you and Jakey all the best and I hope your honeymoon rocks and rolls! xoxoxo

I also must note that the previous weekend I went to Grand Bend with Reens Pat and Scotty and had the best day ever...and then a drive-in theatre with Karebear which was awesome. Karen - I love you WITH the bonnet/mullet!!!!! *mwah*

1 Comments:

  • At 16.8.06, Blogger Mike said…

    Sick. I've had The Squid and the Whale on my list of movies to see for about a month, but your endorsement moves it up said list rapidly. I just didn't know of anyone who'd seen it yet.

    I think Bryn's back in town this weekend, eh. Hope to see you Sat. night! Missed some good times at Pril's wedding. But sounds like a good time was had nonetheless. Peace

     

Post a Comment

<< Home