steel magnolia

Thursday, March 01, 2007

I'll pry if I want to

I just wanted to share my thoughts on "talking about things."

In this strange and noisy planet, we're all actually very silent.

I have noticed that a lot of people are reluctant to leave their comfort zones when it comes to talking about the things that are important. Too often important issues in our lives are swept under carpets, overshadowed by superficial topics that are much more palatable.

Prying is so terribly underated. Today we live in a world where we're taught to be polite and worry about ourselves instead of others. Mind your own business. Don't push. Don't pry. Don't ask questions.

I really think it is the things we don't say that isolate each and every one of us in this place, when we could all be so much better connected.

So I would encourage everyone to ignore whatever silly custom or fear that is inhibiting you from following your instinct to care. Ask somebody "how are you," and don't let the conversation end when they say "oh, I'm fine."

3 Comments:

  • At 10.3.07, Blogger Blair said…

    What if they don't want to share? Prying would just be a nuisance then.

     
  • At 11.3.07, Blogger April said…

    Pinch I think these are the words of a true journalist.

     
  • At 12.3.07, Blogger Mish said…

    Well Blair, lucky for us, people don't ask anyway. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home